Saturday, March 8, 2008

Wheres Kym???? Oh wait…she’s the mzungu (white person)


So everywhere we go in the village, even though we have been going there now for 2 months, they yell mzungu, mzungu. We find it quite entertaining. I feel like I am in a parade everyday. I have perfected the beauty pageant wave and now I will have to find a year round parade or something when I get back. I wont know what to do when people don’t wave at me when I drive by. =) Ok, so on this particular day, we were waiting for our class to start with standard 8 and these sweet kids surrounded me. OK, so I admit it, I know you are not supposed to have favorites, but I love the kid on the end in yellow. The first day we met, I didn’t mean to but I scared him pretty bad. We actually didnt meet, I was running around a building and when I reached the other side he was there and when he saw me, he screamed and went running. I didn't know I could have that kind of affect on kids, but it happens here quite often. But, then the next day he thought it was a game and we have been playing chase ever since. I LOVE IT and I don’t know, I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure he loves it too!!!

2 comments:

Bob A said...

Kym, that was my reaction the first time I saw you, too! :) Just kidding, of course. The phrase, "Mzungu, mzungu -- how are you? How are you?" pretty well defines Kenya, too. Interesting that the Swahili word is the same in Chichewa.

Kym said...

Actually it means white person. They just yell it over and over. We found out that in the villages it is like a compliment to us. So we just smile and wave. Its pretty fun. But now I know in Swahili how to say how are. Thanks!! And thanks so much for all the fun comments from you. It means a lot to me.